Today I issued the following statement on yellow box junctions:
On behalf of the Council I would like to say sorry and offer our unreserved apologies.
We will be refunding everyone ticketed at the affected yellow box junctions since 20 June.
The decision was made after an email sent by the Department for Transport on 20 June, was brought to my attention today.
At the beginning of November we immediately suspended the junctions following advice from the Department for Transport. I believed that this was the first time the Council had been given this advice or the decision to stop enforcing them would have taken in June.
I am furious that this email was never brought to my attention and I have ordered an immediate investigation on how this could have happened.
The Council is putting in place arrangements to refund the money.
The six box junctions affected are double width yellow boxes at T-Junctions:
– South Road junction St Joseph’s Drive, Southall
– South Road junction Cambridge Road, Southall
– South Road junction Hamilton Road, Southall
– High Street junction Avenue Road, Southall
– Uxbridge Road junction Lower Boston Road, Hanwell
– The Broadway junction The Mall, Ealing
I will not be commenting further until I have seen the results of the investigation that I initiated today.